Tuesday, December 6, 2011

10 Minute Donuts

I feel like I'm cheating, blogging about something so easy.  I had planned on making butter cutout cookies tonight and decorating them with Christian, but the dough takes so long to set up that I decided it was best to put the dough in the fridge and bake them tomorrow when he gets home from school.
Christian was so disappointed when he found out we weren't decorating cookies that I knew I had to come up with something, anything, different and fun that wouldn't take long to make.  Bedtime was an hour and a half away and he still needed to do his bedtime routine.


I saw these donuts on Pinterest the other day and they're made the same way I make Chinese fried bread (lazy) so I knew they would be tasty.
The process is simple and completely foolproof.  Take the lid from a 2 liter pop bottle and open a can of biscuit dough.  I used the Texas sized homestyle biscuit dough for these, because I happened to have it in the fridge already.  Lightly press on one of the biscuits to make sure it's a uniform circle.  Press directly in the center with the bottle lid, cutting out the "hole."
Continue doing this until you've made "donuts" out of all the biscuits in the can.  Heat about 3/4" of oil in a skillet over medium heat until a donut hole sizzles around the edges. Drop in the donuts and holes and cook about 30-45 seconds per side, until golden (light golden for a really soft donut and deep golden for a donut with a more crisp outside.)
Drain on a paper towel then you can coat in a glaze.  I made chocolate glaze (mix 1 Tbs cocoa powder, 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 Tbs milk) or a clear glaze (1 cup powdered sugar mixed with 2 Tbs milk or 1 1/2 Tbs water) or you can do what she did in the original blog recipe, found at Southern Plate, which is a quick dip in melted butter followed by a roll in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.


What a cheap, easy dessert or breakfast idea! And they take no time at all, the perfect breakfast for the morning after a slumber party or for a class party at school.  You could even go the extra mile and dip them in sprinkles after glazing.

I really do feel like I'm cheating because this whole process took no more than ten minutes and within 15 minutes Christian and I were both eating a fresh donut, with plenty left over for breakfast tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment