Monday, January 23, 2012

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

I love broccoli cheddar soup.  I don't know what it is, but something about it just warms up my spirit.  A good hot serving of broccoli cheddar soup in a bread bowl on a cold night is just the thing. I've had a hard time finding a good recipe for this because so many recipes called for processed cheeses or just didn't have the flavor I was looking for, they tasted bland and not hearty enough.  After several years of testing, I believe this is hands down, the best broccoli cheddar soup I've tasted.



1/2 cup real butter
1 yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half and half
3 cups chicken broth
4 cups broccoli florets, or 1 package frozen florets
1 cup grated carrot
2 1/2 cups grated white and yellow sharp cheddar
1/4 tsp nutmeg

In a large pot, melt butter and add onion.  Simmer until translucent.  Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add in half and half and cook to a simmer.  Stir in chicken broth.  Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 20 minutes.  Add carrots and broccoli and cover, simmering another 20 minutes.  Remove half of soup to a blender and puree.  Return to pot, and cook to a simmer.  Add cheese and mix well until melted.  Add nutmeg.  Serve immediately and garnish with freshly grated cheddar and nutmeg.

I love this soup.  I could eat it every day if the calories would magically disappear.  Chad likes it better when I replace half the cheese with American or Velveeta and I don't add any nutmeg, so if you have a husband like mine that prefers the processed cheese, feel free to do it that way instead.  But I'm saying this may be a travesty.  Just being honest...

No comments:

Post a Comment