Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sew happy!

So my friend's daughter recently added me to a Facebook group called Beg, Borrow, Buy and Sell.  I started browsing and found that I have a highly addictive personality.  First Facebook, then Etsy, followed shortly by Blogger and Pinterest.  And of course the Gawkerverse. Wow, I never realized what a web nerd I really am...
Oh well, I'm sure the rest of you already knew.
Anyway, within an hour I had posted all of my living room furniture on the group page.  By the next day, I stood in an empty living room.  In selling my furniture I didn't take into account the fact that my family would have limited sitting space (i.e. the floor) if I got rid of the furniture.  That being said, I'm typing this blog while sitting on my mother in law's old (but still only a couple years old) broken couch that was in our garage.  We're using it until we get something else.  Granted, it's a beautiful couch... off white, contemporary design, quite comfortable.  Still, we're lucky we had it.  Otherwise, we'd have been sitting Kumbaya style on the carpet to watch American Idol.
On the bright side, I also made a purchase I'm quite excited by. I came across a post for an old sewing machine and was intrigued... the picture wasn't super clear but the caption said that it works and I could tell it was an antique.  Recently my friend and I had a conversation about why my modern, inexpensive Singer kept breaking down on me and the consensus was that unless I bought a sturdy old metal sewing machine or spent my kid's college fund on a high quality machine, I might as well consider early retirement from sewing.
I know, this blog is going on and on, but I can't contain my excitement.
Long story short (too late) I bought the sewing machine.  Brought it home, turned it on, set it up, everything works.  It's so beautiful I can't even believe it's mine.  I can't wait to start making things!
I consulted my sewing genius friend Melanie and her mother and decided it was probably a good idea to look up the serial number and model of my new Singer and found that it's a Singer 301A, probably manufactured in Anderson, SC in 1951. Everything is original, and everything works properly, even the original buttonholer that came with it. Anyway, I just wanted to share my excitement at this remarkable find... I couldn't believe my luck!  Can't wait to share my first project... after Melanie comes over and shows me how to thread the machine, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment