Saturday, January 14, 2012

Toasted Coconut and Parrot Bay

Today I helped my mother and father in law at a bridal show here in Stillwater.  I took the opportunity to expand my horizons a bit and brought along truffles and business cards with the hopes that the masses will recruit me for their dessert needs for their events and showers.  I made some of the truffles I always bring to these sorts of things, but I also wanted to make something new.



I called these Honeymoon Truffles... toasted coconut, tropical rum, dark chocolate... if these don't remind you of the flavors of an oceanic chocolate paradise, I don't know what will.

Honeymoon Truffles

4 Tbsp Parrot Bay or other coconut rum, 42 proof
16 oz 60% cacao dark chocolate, divided and chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
12 oz coconut flakes

Preheat oven to 350.  Spread coconut out on a baking sheet in a thin layer.  Bake 3 minutes in oven.  Turn off heat and crack the oven door.  Leave the coconut in for another 8 minutes, until browned and toasty, stirring once halfway through.

Remove to a glass bowl and set aside.

Put 8 oz chopped chocolate in a glass bowl.  Heat the cream in a small saucepan, whisking occasionally, until lightly simmering.  Pour over the chopped chocolate and stir until smooth and creamy. Stir in the rum one tablespoon at a time until smooth. Reserving 1/8 cup of the toasted coconut for later, crush the rest of the coconut into the ganache mixture and stir until well combined.  Refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

Melt the remaining chocolate over a double boiler until smooth.  Using a cookie scoop, scoop 1/2 inch balls of the set ganache and roll with your hands to make perfect balls.  Dip in the melted chocolate and remove to a parchment lined baking sheet.  Sprinkle a small amount of the leftover toasted coconut onto each truffle while the chocolate is still wet.  Let sit in the freezer for fifteen minutes to ensure a strong set. 


These are so delicious and perfect for a special occasion.  Hopefully I made enough friends today at the bridal show to ensure plenty of Honeymoon Truffles in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment