Monday, February 6, 2012

Tex-Mex Queso

I love white queso.  I have been on a quest for a good white queso recipe for quite a while now.  If you're thinking this is going to lead into a fantastic tale about how I've finally discovered how to make a good homemade white queso that really hits the spot, you're wrong.  I'm still searching.  However, on my quest I happened upon a really tasty yellow queso that's easy to make and great for say, Super Bowl Sunday... which is when I made it. 
What happened is this... I bought the wrong cheese for the white queso I was going to try, and ended up dumping a saucepan of cheese dip down the drain in a dramatic, frustrating show of womanism.  I still wanted queso so I started searching for a recipe I could live with for the day. Not only was this a pretty good recipe from the Homesick Texan, it's definitely one I'll make again, although it still doesn't have that creamy goodness that white queso has.  The search continues. In the meantime, give this a try.  Especially if you love yellow cheddar.



Ingredients:
1/2 onion diced (about 1/2 cup)
4 cloves of garlic minced
3 Serrano peppers diced
3 jalapeno peppers diced
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
1 cup of milk
6 cups of shredded cheese, can use any combination of Longhorn cheddar and Monterrey Jack
1/2 cup of cilantro, chopped
1diced tomato
1/2 cup of sour cream
Salt to taste
(I just want to throw it out there that I did not have Serrano peppers, so I improvised for a different flavor with 1/4 cup diced green bell peppers and 1 can drained green chiles. I also felt that the amount of cheese was a bit much... ok, a LOT much.  I only used 3 cups. Worked out okay. Pretty tasty.)

In a saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onions and peppers about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook another minute or so.  Whisk in the flour, then the milk, and cook to a simmer.  Let cook about 5 minutes until it thickens slightly.  Stir in the cheese until melted, then fold in the tomatoes, cilantro, and sour cream.  I ended up adding about 1 tsp of chili powder and 1/4 tsp or so of salt as well.  Like I said, it's definitely a unique flavor but one my family really enjoyed.  Have fun with it!  Try different peppers or cheese combinations, and add or subtract a little sour cream or tomatoes to suit your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment