Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Back to the Basics

Lately I've been trying to think of all the gooey deliciousness that comes with holiday baking, and testing out new recipes for things I haven't tried before, but nothing was hitting the spot.  I've been in the mood for something gooey, chocolatey, and simple to make with everything I already had in my pantry.  It never struck me that I could go back to the basics and make something perfect that is as timeless as it is simple.

These no bake cookies are seriously mess-up proof, and everyone loves them.  Ever since I was a kid I have loved the gooey goodness of a chewy no-bake cookie.  And somehow, every childhood class party or holiday office gathering has had someone bring in a batch of them.  They're always there, in the background, making their appearance at just the right time.


I haven't made them in years, so I thought it was about time to introduce my kids to them.

Ingredients:
3 c quick cook oats
1 3/4 c white sugar
1/2 c milk
1/2 c butter
4 Tbs cocoa powder, unsweetened
1/2 c peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa in a medium saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, to a full rolling boil. Cook for 90 seconds at the full boil.  Less and your cookies won't set up, and more means they'll be a crumbly mess.  Turn off the heat and add in the peanut butter, stirring until melted and thoroughly combined.  Stir in vanilla and oats til fully encorporated and spoon onto wax paper in desired cookie size and shape.  I recommend refrigerating overnight to ensure full setup., and for storage without too much extra stickiness.  Layer between parchment for transport.


These are age old classic cookies that I'm sure everyone remembers and loves, and they're the perfect tag-along for a holiday party when you just don't have time to impress everyone with your baking skills.  Or when you want to pretend that you don't have time when really, you just don't have baking skills, although I like to think the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment