Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Eggnog Cookies, Eggnog Icing... win, win.

Yesterday, my family braved the supermarket for the Thanksgiving shopping rush.  As I rushed around, elbows out, pawing my way through shoppers for the groceries necessary for a successful Thanksgiving spread, my head was filled with lists of ingredients... sage, heavy cream, eggs, chives, potatoes... eggnog.  I know eggnog is typically a Christmas treat, but an almost pregnancy-strong craving for eggnog overwhelmed me so I decided to find a way to incorporate eggnog into our feast, even if I was the only one that indulged.

After browsing for some eggnog-inspired baking ideas, I came across this recipe for eggnog cookies and icing from The Family Kitchen.  I decided that with a few tweaks on the original, this was a winner.



Ingredients:

2 sticks butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg, room temp
1 c eggnog
3 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp nutmeg

Eggnog icing:

2 c confectioner's sugar
5 Tbs (give or take a bit) eggnog
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Beat butter and sugar til fluffy with an electric mixer.  Add egg, continue beating, add eggnog and mix til well incorporated.
 
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, nutmeg, and baking soda.  Carefully fold into wet ingredients just until combined.  Cover, and chill for two hours.

Preheat oven to 350 and drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are just browned.  Let cool on pan 5 minutes before removing to rack.  Make glaze by mixing the icing ingredients together til well blended and frost cookies when cooled.


Enjoy these with a hot cup of cider on a cold evening for a pre-Christmas treat that's sure to warm you up!

No comments:

Post a Comment