Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Angry baking

So tonight, I found myself unbearably and unreasonably angry.  Not at anyone, just at pure circumstance.  I'm sure you know what I mean... the moment when for no reason, you're ready to go to Wal-Mart just to start a fight with the first person that randomly stops their cart in front of you when you were obviously behind them in the aisle already. (I hate that.)

Christian wandered into the kitchen at just the wrong time, and I had to explain to him that the kitchen was like Mommy's time out chair...  It's where I go instead of the corner.  He wanted to help me bake so I told him that he could help but there could be no silliness... I was grumpy and this was serious baking.  Of course, it became a gigglefest. I adored every second.

Anyway, these cookies are simple, adaptable, and 55 calories apiece.  This recipe yields 5 dozen or so relatively small cookies, so adjust to your own liking and change bake times accordingly.

Ingredients:

2 cups diced apples
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup softened pure butter
1/2 cup pure white cane sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 c water
1 tsp pure vanilla
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350.  Beat sugars, butter, water, vanilla, and egg with mixer until creamy.  Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl and fold into wet ingredients. Add apple and pumpkin pie spice.  Scoop teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes.  Let sit for at least five minutes before removing to cooling rack.



Needless to say, I had cheered up dramatically from start to finish, and with a house scented with apples and spice it's hard to stay grumpy for long anyway,  I highly recommend this recipe for baking with the kids.  Maybe that's just because Christian and I had so much fun together while mixing these up.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment