Friday, October 21, 2011

Hoot hoot.

In August, my family participated in the Great Strides walk for Cystic Fibrosis in Stillwater.  My niece has CF, and every year we do what we can to raise funds for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation because their awesome research potentially lengthens the life of someone I care about dearly.

Anyway, I always try to find creative things to make and sell, and this year these stuffed owls were a huge hit.

Aside from that, they're super easy and extremely addicting to make.  I'm including a tutorial, because I think everyone else will get addicted too, especially considering the endless options to customize them to whatever specifications they're looking for.

Basically, this is the owl.  Adorable, but a terrible picture.






Start with a pattern.  The owl in the picture was made from a freehand pattern, but I'll also include a picture of one you can print and enlarge, or copy from, or whatever.  It looks like this.



I just made it using Paint... no frills at all, but it's perfect for the purpose. 
Cut the pattern, pin your fabric, cut the fabric. Pin the owl and sew around the edges with about a 1/2 inch seam, leaving the space at the very bottom of the owl open for stuffing.  Turn it rightside out and stuff the owl and finish the bottom seam.  Then, cut a triangular beak from red or orange felt, and stitch onto the owl's face.  Use a shot glass to trace two circles on white felt.  Cut and stitch above the nose for eyes.  Sew black buttons in the middle of the circles, and voila.  So easy and cute!!  You can make it any size, out of any fabric, with any accessories.  I made my owl to match a black minky and floral fabric blanket I made, and I love the idea of making a big sweet hairbow and putting it on top of the owl's head as a gift set for a baby girl.  So cute!  Makes a great addition as a throw pillow in decor matching fabric for your living room or bedroom, especially a kid's room. 

And don't forget to support CF research.  Nothing's more close to my heart, and I know for a fact the research is making a real difference in lives.

Find out more at cff.org.  If you'd like to donate to my Great Strides fund, you can do so until Christmas by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment