Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Hello, diabetes... I made you some cookies!

My husband has been feeling cruddy lately, lots of strange things going on, so we went to the doctor yesterday and learned that he's diabetic.

After all of the ho-humming and woe-is-me that either of us could take, I decided to give diabetic baking a shot.

Here's what I came up with.


These chocolate chip cookies are pretty cakey, but in a good way.  They're great with cold milk, and made with Splenda and ground oats so they're also relatively healthy.

Ingredients:

1 c room temperature pure butter
1 c Splenda granular
1/2 c packed Splenda baking brown sugar
1 c whole wheat flour
1 c all purpose flour
2 eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 c old fashioned oats
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 package semi sweet chocolate chips

First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Then, use a blender or Magic Bullet and pulse the oats until they're a fine powder, like this:

Next, use a hand mixer to combine the Splenda, Splenda brown sugar, and the butter.  Slowly mix in both eggs.  It should look something like this.


















 Mix all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, including the oats.   Then combine the dry ingredients with the butter mixture and fold in the chocolate chips.  Like this:

















Last, bake at 375 for between 8 and 10 minutes.  I did have to form these cookies myself, into almost the shape I wanted them to end up as.  They only expand a little so make sure they're pressed down.

Finally, enjoy!!  And without regret.  But remember, moderation is key. If anyone knows the secret to learning moderation, feel free to let me know. I've still working on that one.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking such good care of me, you are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely welcome, & so worth it!!

    ReplyDelete